Pompeii’s archaeological storage areas hold about 80,000 finds excavated in the city and the surrounding area. Given the need to make use of available on-site spaces, storage areas are situated throughout the site in various topographical and structural locations. The entire history of Pompeii’s archaeological research may be retraced in these areas, from the first digs to ongoing excavations. The finds stored there testify to the many aspects of the city’s culture; its religion, politics, art, commerce, craftwork and daily life.
Improvement work on the storage areas has been taking place for some time in order to upgrade conservation levels. As well as protecting and conserving archaeological finds, the Archaeological Park of Pompeii has become a research institute, able to initiate analytical and interdisciplinary study projects. This is substantiated by the continuous presence of scholars from all over the world who come to assist in the collection of knowledge on Pompeii and its surrounding area.
One of the main storage areas is in the “Granai del Foro” (Forum granary), excavated between 1806 and 1823 and situated facing the eastern side of the Civil Forum (VII 8). Amedeo Maiuri was the main promoter of the works that made this important Pompeii building into a depository for an immense amount of clay and household instruments, excavated from numerous and varied structures, including houses, shops and workshops. These warehouse museums form an indispensable and central part of a visit, especially considering their immense informative potential.